Implementing a large-scale food fortification program in Pakistan to fortify wheat flour and edible oil with micronutrients in collaboration with Mott MacDonald.
- 500,000 children under five die of diarrhoeal disease every year
- Five of the eight countries where Nutrition International implemented zinc and low-osmolarity oral rehydration salts (LO-ORS) programs in 2016 were among the 10 countries with the highest total number of deaths due to diarrhoea in children under five
- In 2016, 53% of the global number of deaths due to diarrhoea occurred in the 10 countries where Nutrition International currently works.
Zinc helps treat childhood diarrhoea by:
- Promoting immunity, skin and mucosal resistance to infection, and preserves cellular membrane integrity
- Improving the absorption of water and electrolytes
- Increasing the production of antibodies and lymphocytes that are needed against intestinal pathogens